Daniel Günther demands swift Social Media ban for children under 16 in Schleswig-Holstein

Daniel Günther demands swift Social Media ban for children under 16 in Schleswig-Holstein

Schleswig‑Holstein’s Minister‑President Daniel Günther (CDU) has called for an urgent ban on social‑media use by children and adolescents under 16. “We have to act as soon as possible to make sure that the next generation is not exposed to the excesses that take place at that sensitive age” Günther told the FAZ in its Thursday edition.

He argues that the digital sphere exposes youngsters to horror films, violence, pornography, pedophilia, AI‑driven communication, bullying and beauty standards that can drive people toward anorexia. “I want to spare all children in our state from having to face what children and young people have endured so far” he said.

At the CDU’s federal congress in Stuttgart, Günther’s state association will submit a motion to prohibit the use of certain social‑media channels for anyone under 16. The motion commission will recommend that the motion be forwarded to the party’s internal committees and to the Bundestag faction. Günther said the party should reach a decision on the issue at the congress and is confident that a majority will support the proposal. He cites a “wide societal majority” in his favor, noting poll figures that show 70-80 % favour a ban on social media for under‑16 users, especially for those who “have just gone through all of that”. He stressed the need for swift action: “We can no longer afford to lose time; we must finally protect our children and young people”.

When addressing the SPD’s suggestion to limit social‑media use to an age of 14, Günther said a meaningful age threshold could be debated but he believes 16 is the correct limit. He also criticised social‑media platforms for allegedly using algorithms that encourage addictive behaviour.

In a separate dispute, Günther has confronted the online portal “Nius”. In a talk show, he accused the portal of reporting without facts and was subsequently charged with self‑censorship. He clarified to the FAZ that he never demanded press censorship. “What happened after my statements verified everything I said” he said. He argued that remarks had been shortened and distorted, and that he is fighting to keep his voice free in a press climate that seeks to restrict him. Günther concluded that it is right to discuss the distinction between journalism and political agitation in so‑called “alternative media”.